Monday 3 March 2014

Vintage Beauty in the Modern Age: 90's Grunge

 Happy Monday folks! I am so excited about today's post! As a 90's child, I have so many memories of the heavy makeup looks of the 90's. The makeup looks ranged from simple matte face makeup with the addition of a brown lipstick, to pure punky gorgeousness of bold eyes and bold lips. The color palette of 90's makeup was very tonal and natural including beige, medium brown, rusty browns, coppers, brick reds, and burgundy. I'm a total fan of the traditional 90's super model look with chiseled cheekbones, contoured eye creases and big pouty lips but decided to go with something a little more cheeky (and a little less Pam Anderson). My only regret is that I didn't have a Nirvana t-shirt to add into the mix.

Achieving this look doesn't require a whole lot of makeup products and any duo of brown eye shadows can be used to achieve the dreamy, sludgy eyes. I used matte eye shadows for this look but decided to press on a shimmery eyeshadow over the lids to add more dimension to the smokey look. I choose warm browns and coppers because I love how they look against blue eyes, but any shade of brown can be used (other colors can be added into the mix if you are feeling adventurous). Eyeliner is another important component to this look, I used a brown and a copper red eyeliner but black would be a good option as well. Blush was not necessary in this look but I used a grey-toned bronzer to contour the cheeks. Otherwise, I wanted my skin to look very pale and contrast again the eyes and lips. I could not decide on lip color so I decided to show both of my picks, a wearable browny nude and a strong matte burgundy lip. I had so much fun recreating my own interpretation of 90's makeup and ended up loving the look of grungy eye makeup on myself. Here's how I did the look:

BASE: I started off by using my new Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation in #51 Light Vanilla all over the face. I set the foundation with my Clarins Ever Matte Pressed Powder in 00 Transparent Opal to make my face look very matte. I used Benefit Hoola Bronzer to contour under the cheekbones.

EYES: I first primed my eye with Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion. I started off by putting MAC Mystery Eyeshadow all over my mobile lid to create a dark brown base for the coppery colors that I smudged on top. I then blended the matte mustard brown from my Dior 5 Couleurs Eyeshadow Palette in #734 Grege on top of the dark shadow and up into the crease up towards my eyebrows. I smudged lots of this eyeshadow on my lower lid, almost down to my cheeks for a super grungy look.I rimmed my eyes with Milani Liquid Eyes Eyeliner Pencil in Brown (both upper and lower), smudging the lines slightly before they set. I also lined my upper and lower waterlines with the dark brown liner. I used my coppery-red NYX Eyeliner in #926 Copper to line the inner third of my eye (the part of the eye closest to the inner corner) on top and bottom to add some interest to the look. I then patted a layer of L'Oreal Infallible Eyeshadow in #892 Amber Rush over the entire smokey eye too keep the eyes looking very copper-toned. I achieved clumpy 90's lashes by using multiple coats of both Estee Lauder Sumptuous Infinite Mascara in #01 Black and Maybelline Mega Plush Volume Express Mascara in Blackest Black. I cleaned up any eyeshadow fallout under my eyes with my Clarins Instant Brush On Perfector in #01. 

BROWS: Brushed upwards and filled in with my Rimmel Eyebrow Pencil in 002 Hazel. The 90's favored bushy brows.
 
LIPS: For the first look: I used Essence Lipliner in 04 Honey Bun to make a browny nude pout. For the second look, I used Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick #07 over the liner to make the lips a deep burgundy.

I love this 90's makeup look! I especially like that there are no rules and that the messier this looks, the better. Are you a fan of 90's makeup like me? Or do you think the style should stay in the past? Tell me your thoughts in the comments below.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment