Sunday 6 April 2014

Killer Cheekbones: How to Contour and Highlight

Before
Apply bronzer in a "3" shape, apply highlighter in a "C" shape.
After
Happy Sunday folks! I'm happy to share my easy tip for contouring and highlighting the face. I think the idea of contouring the face scares a lot of people (even seasoned makeup addicts) and I used to be one of those individuals. After watching countless Youtube videos on achieving the facial structure of a Kardashian, I have figured out a simple technique for contouring and highlighting the face that's very effective. This requires two products: bronzer and highlighter. Powder products are probably easier for those who are beginners but cream products work just as well, I generally stick to powder for better control. I would recommend using a matte bronzer/contouring product for this job to keep it looking as natural as possible. A matte brown or matte grey shade can be a very realistic contour on the skin and mimic shadows on the face. If you do not have a matte bronzer, a matte eyeshadow can be a good substitute. As a substitute to a highlighter, a light shimmery eyeshadow can be used instead (e.g. light nude, light gold, light pink, white shimmer, etc). For this post, I have used The Body Shop Honey Bronzer in #03 Medium Matte and Stila All Over Shimmer Duo in Kitten (I used the light pink product on the left side). Here are my easy steps!

STEP ONE: Apply foundation and powder (if you wear either of those).

STEP TWO: Apply bronzer in the shape of a "3" starting at the temples, going in under the cheekbones, and ending at the jawline (refer to brown line on picture above). Make sure not to bring the bronzer all the way across the cheeks to your nose, stop half way across the cheek. Take a fluffy brush and blend in any harsh edges of the bronzer by going over the "3" shape a couple times.

STEP THREE: Apply highlighter on a small brush and swipe it on in a "C" shape, starting at the temple (above the brow) and bring it across the top of the cheekbone just below the eye (see picture above).

And that's my super simple technique for contouring and highlighting the face! It makes a dramatic difference to anybody's facial structure and really helps to slim out the face and bring out those cheekbones. It may sound confusing when written out in steps but I think that my diagram showing exactly where to put each product makes it easy to replicate. This look can be done on any skin tone, including pale girls like me (Benefit Hoola works really well on pale skins as well).

Do you like the look of a contoured face? It's a look I go back to time and time again. Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment