Monday 11 August 2014

The 90's Nude: Urban Decay Liar

Happy Monday ladies and gents! Today I'm reviewing a lipstick that has been sitting on my makeup table for quite some time. In recent times, Kylie Jenner has been spotted wearing a series of brown-based nudes very reminiscent of the 90's. I personally don't care much for the little sister of the ultra glamorous Kardashians, but I can agree that it's a nice change to the milky nudes that seem to be undying. I've personally always been a fan of brown toned lipsticks. As a child of the 90's myself, I grew up watching the likes of Brooke Shields and other supermodels rocking the earthy tones and looking amazing. Obviously when I came across Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Liar, I was intrigued and ready to pay homage to the 90's nude.

This is my second addition to the Revolution Lipstick family (see my favorite shade reviewed here), and I have no quams with the formulation. As with the shade Turn On, the lipstick is creamy, super pigmented and long wearing without drying out the lips. It's comfortable lippy that feels hydrating on the lips without feeling heavy. The color is described as "pink brown" but I think that the lipstick has more of a deep rosy brown.

My hesitation lies in that it is very brown and so pigmented that if it were applied heavily on the lips, it may border on overkill. It is so opaque in color that your natural lip color will not come through, so air on the side of caution if applying a heavy amount. As a fair skinned girl, I find that a light application of Urban Decay Liar results in a more natural, pretty look. Another slight issue I have with the color is that it's hard to find a blush color that jives well with it. Pink toned blushes clash with the lipstick while warm toned colors don't look quite right either. After much experimentation, I find that wearing just bronzer to warm up the skin and no blush looks best on my fair complexion.

Basically I love the lipstick formula but the color is one that has taken getting used to. I definitely love wearing this 90's nude with a very natural makeup look. Brown toned lippies are hot right now and it's a trend that has really grown on me. I think this would look stunning on brunettes and darker complexions but light skin tones can wear it too.

Would you try the 90's browny-nude lip trend?

4 comments:

  1. I've always been a fan of the brown toned nudes! I've kinda turned my nose to the Revolution lipsticks after the one I bought.. The shade was lovelight and it was a gritty mess! Though, I guess all lipsticks deserve a second chance ;)

    www.lilting-grace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I secretly love 90's makeup looks and I look forward to seeing more 90's trends come about! I've heard Fleur De Force mention that shade Lovelight but I've never swatched it myself. It looks like it has glitter in it so I'm guessing that would contribute to the grittyness? I haven't had any issues with the non-shimmer colors myself! Thanks for commenting Louise :D xo

      Delete
  2. I don't think it would suit me, but this looks really natural and pretty on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks doll :D It's definitely not for everyone but I hope to figure out a makeup look that looks best with it. Thanks for commenting! xo

      Delete